Friday, September 9, 2011

Batiking

Kente strips sewn together
     The main thing that we talked about this week in class that I could really relate to was the weaving on looms. The Ewe and Ashanti people both weave very intricate patterns. Watching the video on weaving cloth and wax resist stamping I couldn't believe how incredibly fast they would weave and stamp the cloth. Lifting up every few threads on the loom in order to put another color in these people are masters at this art/tradition. The men weave the kente strips, and the women sew them together to make clothing. I can relate to this because I used to do some weaving on a small loom when I was younger so I know a bit about threading the loom and stringing the heddle and the beater I couldn't make as extravagant patterns and designs but I did what I could. Once I also got to weave on a very large loom switching the threads with my feet on pedals just like they do. So I have a sense of understanding about weaving.


"Nayme"
"Except God"
     The other thing we did was Adinkra/ wax resist stamping. It was so much fun I had never done it before. Nani was great, he reminded me of my old Sunday school teacher who was from Cameroon. Nani was so excited to teach us, and he did a great job of explaining how to stamp and dye the cloth. He brought a bunch of stamps carved out of wood and we got to pick out which ones we wanted. However every stamp has its own meaning. The two I picked were the one that is called, Except God, Which means a Immortal and Omnipotent God. The other one I chose a "Nayme" it means place of worship. I chose these symbols to make a statement and also as a reminder to me that there's a God that is all powerful and loves me no matter what. I wasn't sure how to fold my cloth, but I ended up folding it in a triangular shape which after dying gave it a very geometric design. I chose to dye it purple and blue to give it a tie-dye look. I had a great time this week learning about textiles, and I can't wait to find out what next week holds.

                                                      Bethany <><

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to learn of your prior experience with weaving. I'd like to see more digging and connections made to readings and issues/concepts presented in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that you've had prior experience to the workshop, compared to some of us other students. It's obviously something that you value and appreciate. I can also relate to the two symbols that you chose to use for your textile print, "Nayme" and "Except God". Those two symbols also represent important things in my life that I value as well. Nani expressed what certain colors and symbols mean to him, and when he uses them in his performances. It depends on who you are and how you interpret them to what they mean to you.

    ReplyDelete